This time we try to ground everyone with a discussion of some reasons you might not want to enter the board game industry:
- You will lose money.
- You will lose time, effort, and opportunities.
- Other people will be critical of your work, not publish, or not buy it.
- The work is not all fun.
- Your game is not special.
- Kickstarter campaigns and fulfillment are stressful.
- You’ll be away from home and have to spend money on travel.
Podcast/Audio Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP048.mp3
This is our first mailbag episode where we dig into these questions:
- When do you give up on a game?
- How do you recover from mistakes and setbacks?
- How do you distinguish yourself from other games?
Audio Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP043.mp3
Do you have a game that you want to get into the magical land of “distribution”? We talk about how to make that happen! Some topics we discuss are:
- What is distribution?
- What is the structure of the market?
- Why go through distribution?
- What profits can one expect?
- Why do retailers like distribution?
- How does one get picked up by a distributor?
- Big consolidators and distributors
- Minimum print sizes
The Forbidden Limb debuts on The Dice Tower Network with tips on finding art for your prototype.
Jeremy tells us the top 9 items he believes designers should consider adding to a publishing contract before they sign it.
We don’t have video for this one due to some camera issues. Sorry about that!
Learn about the important clauses in a contract between a tabletop game designer and publisher. What does a contract look like and what do you want to make sure is included, both from the publisher and designer perspective?
Audio/Podcast Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/FLP015b.mp3
See a behind the scenes perspective of a Kickstarter campaign from Brian. The Bombers and Traitors expansion of Good Cop Bad Cop campaign ended just a couple of weeks ago and we go through all the data. Jeremy adds his backing preferences and Richard asks some clarifying questions.
Podcast/Audio Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/FLP014.mp3