Richard interviews Juliana Patel and Ariel Rubin who created the extremely successful Escape Room in a Box: The Werewolf Experiment that is now being published by Mattel. He learns all their secrets about in their 2,000+ backer debut campaign! Some specific topics:
- Partnering with Mattel
- Escape room game opportunities
- Replaying escape room games
- Playtesting an escape room game
- Creating the puzzles
- Lessons learned from the Kickstarter campaign
- Finding your audience
Audio/Podcast Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP064.mp3
This episode provides some guidelines for the situation where multiple publishers want to sign your game and how you handle it, both from the designer and publisher perspective. Specifically, we cover:
- submitting your game to multiple publishers at the same time
- handshake deals
- bringing copies to a convention
- bigger publishers vs. smaller publishers
- asking for exclusivity
- doing your publisher homework
- changes to contracts
- should I have a lawyer look over my contract?
We talk generally about publishing licensed games and specifically about the unsuccessful Total Recall Kickstarter campaign.
- Why didn’t it fund?
- What did you do differently?
- Likeness rights 101
- Timing releases in a line of games
- Hidden costs of doing a licensed game
- Liability insurance
- The costs of agreeing to release dates
- Should you create a licensed game?
- Publishing outside of Kickstarter
Podcast Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP062.mp3
Total Recall Kickstarter Campaign – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/overworldgames/total-recall-the-official-tabletop-game
This is a panel organized by High Voltage about how awesome games are and how to grow and build an inclusive gaming community. This took place on 10/28/2017 at Stan Lee’s Los Angeles Comic Con, hosted by Will Pasquin with these panelists:
- John Clair – Mystic Vale, Downfall
- David Zuckman – Obscure Reference Games
- Ross Thompson – IDW and Kingdom Con
- Chris O’Neil – Brotherwise Games
- Brian Henk – Overworld Games
- Will Pasquin – High Voltage
Audio/Podcast Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/cleannormalizedaudio.mp3
We have another mailbag episode! These topics were suggested by listeners:
- Are environmental concerns a factor for publishers, manufacturers, and designers?
- How can I make my game more accessible and inclusive?
- What kind of support should publishers donate to charity?
The Overworld Games policy on charities.
If you’re listening to this podcast, there’s a good chance you know someone personally who has launched a Kickstarter campaign. Did you feel obligated to back it? We try to break down this social etiquette around the subject in this episode.
Audio Link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP060.mp3
Today we discuss how to use Amazon to sell your board game.
– Fulfillment by Amazon
– Amazon Marketplace
– Vendor Express
– Amazon Launchpad
– Getting Burned Stories
– Amazon Marketing Services
– Improving your search rankings
– Sales on Amazon
– Pricing on Amazon
– A+ Content
– VINE Reviews
– Ads on Amazon
Audio/Podcast Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP059.mp3