We talk generally about publishing licensed games and specifically about the unsuccessful Total Recall Kickstarter campaign.
- Why didn’t it fund?
- What did you do differently?
- Likeness rights 101
- Timing releases in a line of games
- Hidden costs of doing a licensed game
- Liability insurance
- The costs of agreeing to release dates
- Should you create a licensed game?
- Publishing outside of Kickstarter
Podcast Audio: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP062.mp3
Total Recall Kickstarter Campaign – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/overworldgames/total-recall-the-official-tabletop-game
If you’re listening to this podcast, there’s a good chance you know someone personally who has launched a Kickstarter campaign. Did you feel obligated to back it? We try to break down this social etiquette around the subject in this episode.
Audio Link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP060.mp3
In this episode, we discuss the life of a game, particularly with a crowd-funded game. We go through the schedule from start to finish and a high-level of everything in between! Specifically, we hit on these points:
- Make sure design is finished
- The major steps include:
- Manufacturing and Proofing
- Kickstarter Prep
- Review Copies
- Informing Retailers
- Shipping and Fulfillment
- Art takes longer than expected
- Break down EVERY task and element
- The order of the tasks matters
- Run aspects by outside eyes
- Where can we find an in-depth description of the process?
- What task management tools are available?
- What is the overall timeline?
Audio/Podcast Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP040.mp3
Why should a prospective crowd-funding backer contribute to a campaign? Why not wait for the game to come out? We talk about our experience and lessons learned as
we cover these topics:
- Get a lower price
- Make a better game/exclusives
- Be a part of the process
- Get the game early
- Inside information
- Back before you make your own campaign
Learn Chris Reynolds’ secrets to laying out your crowd-funding page to give potential backers what they want to see and read. He also gives some tips on general marketing of a board game so come have a listen!
This is all about the fulfillment company called Send from China. We describe this service from a first-hand perspective covering these topics:
– What is Send from China?
– Why might I use it?
– What are some potential pitfalls?
– User Interface
– Payment Options
– Shipping Calculator
– Currency Conversion
– Packaging Options
– EU/AU/CA Friendly
– Customer Service
Podcast Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/FLP028.mp3
http://www.sendfromchina.com/ – The SFC website.
Richard Bliss hosts the Kickstarter Panel at the San Jose Protospiel. All Kickstarter topics are discussed from the following panelists:
- Jeremy Commandeur
- Brian Henk
- Teale Fristoe
- Aldo Ghiozzi
- Richard Bliss
Podcast/Audio Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/output_ks.mp3