Today we discuss licensed games and the specific challenges associated with making a game from them. If you are granted the rights to make a card game based in the Star Wars universe, how do you make a game around it? Or should you make the game first and try to acquire the license later? Here are some questions we answer:
- Should I design a game for a license?
- How much does it cost to get an intellectual property?
- Do you pay up-front or are there royalties or both?
- What does the schedule/deadlines look like?
- What impact does this have on your cash flow?
- How do you learn enough about the chosen universe?
- What kind of help can you expect from the licensor?
- Can you add to the universe?
- Are there any conventions that you should go to related to licensing?
Audio Podcast: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP052.mp3