Today we attempt to define what a reference card is, which isn’t as easy as you may think, and then we pull them apart and figure out which games need them and how to design them clearly. Then we end with a Top 5 list of tips to make your reference card better. Here are some questions and topics we discuss:
- Which games do we wish had them that do not?
- Which games have them but don’t need them?
- Do we need one for each player?
- The psychological effect of having a reference card.
- Can a game be too simple to have a reference card?
- The cost of a reference card.
Top 5 Tips for Designing a Reference Card:
#5) No Walls of Text
#4) Use 1 Double-Sided Reference Card
#3) White Space is Your Friend
#2) Make Them Visually Distinct
#1) Use Symbols
Podcast/Audio Version: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theforbiddenlimb/BGBP057.mp3